Date of the meeting From November 1st to 4th, 2017
Venue: Pontificia Università Gregoriana, Rome Pontificia Università Gregoriana, Rome (Italy)
Coordination: Loïc Roche, Paulina Guzik, Anthony J. Cernera: mrconference(@)bureau.fiuc.org
From November 1st to 4th, the International Conference will be organized around a series of workshops and presentations all focused on issues related to the refugee and migrant crisis and the responses and responsibilities of universities to these realities ».
Plenary sessions, round tables, panels and a series of workshops will be held until the concluding day when Pope Francis will welcome the participants for an audience.
The Conference aims to:
1. To have a better understanding of the reality and dimensions of the world refugee and migrant crisis. The organizers wish to open a fruitful dialogue between the academic world and the ones of field agents and governmental agencies to seek for future collaboration in building a network;
2. To study various approaches to providing education and training refugees living in settlement camps as well as ways to educate students at universties about these global realities;
3. To investigate pressing research needs regarding the crisis and how universities could develop research projects/proposals with an applied benefit;
4. To launch a Research and Action network to collaborate in the following fields: teaching, research and action in relation to migrants/refugee’s issues.
5. To strengthen the global effort to access education. Higher education must be accompanied by other measures, including better knowledge of the migration issue.
The Conference is organized during 4 days from November 1st to November 4th :
Day 1 – November 1st: Inaugural Session
Day 2 – November 2nd: Sharing Experiences / Teaching and Learning Students / Migrants and Refugees
Day 3 – November 3rd: Graduating Migrants and Refugees / The Research Agenda / Teaching/Research/Acting within a Network
Day 4 – November 4th: Papal Audience
Only persons registered at the congress will have access to the Venue and to the Vatican City for the Papal audience on November 4th.
Attendance at the Congress
4 Coffee breaks
Conference Secretariat :
Leonardo da Vinci (Fiumicino) Airport
Leonardo Express trains to Stazione Termini 6.23am to 11.23pm, €14; slower FL1 trains to Trastevere, Ostiense and Tiburtina stations 5.57am to 10.42pm, €8; buses to Stazione Termini 6.05am to 12.30am, €6; private transfers from €22 per person; taxis €48 (fixed fare to within the Aurelian walls).
Ciampino Airport Buses to Stazione Termini 4am to 11.15pm, €5; private transfers €25 per person; taxis €30 (fixed fare to within the Aurelian walls).
Stazione Termini Airport buses and trains, and international trains, arrive at Stazione Termini. From here, continue by bus, metro or taxi.
Further information: www.turismoroma.it/?infoviaggio_categorie=come-arrivare&lang=en
Hotel accommodation is not included in the registration fee.
Conference delegates have to book directly their room in the hotel of their choice.
As a suggestion, here is a list of various possibility of accommodation near the Pontificia Università Gregoriana.
4 Coffee breaks
Currency : Euros
Climate : Because of Italy’s narrow width, long coasts and sheltered Mediterranean location, winter comes gently to much of the peninsula. In November, central and southern Italy experience weather more akin to a mild September in many countries with temperatures ranging from the low 50s to high 60s and occasional showers.